Lakes Entrance, Victoria is a popular holiday location. It has a reputation as Victoria’s Riverina. It seems to be blessed, with more lovely days of sunshine than Melbourne is.
Lakes Entrance is a relaxed lay back seaside town, charm. Located on the edge of Ninety Mile Beach where the Gippsland Lakes meets the Southern Ocean.
There are lots of family activities here, aside from the water based ones like surfing swimming, fishing, paddleboats, there is mini golf and bicycle tracks through the town and many walkers like me, out on the esplanade. .
Lakes Entrance is renowned as the 'Seafood Capital' due to the large number of fishing trawlers operating in the area. You can buy fresh cooked scallops, straight off the scallop boats, tied up at the wharf.
· Population approximately 5,250. Lakes Entrance makes the perfect, ‘Sea Change’, location.
· 319 kilometres east of Melbourne
· Largest inland network of waterways in Australia
· Ninety Mile Beach.
Activities and attractions
· Cross the footbridge to the popular Ninety Mile Beach surf beach, which is patrolled by lifesavers during the summer months, or take a hike to 'the entrance' of the Gippsland Lakes
· Enjoy a boat cruise on the Lakes or hire a paddleboat or catamaran (summer months)
· Catch your own fish or savour the catches from fresh seafood shops
· Take in the views of the town, lakes and the entrance from Jemmy's Point Lookout
· Visit the beautiful Lake Tyers Township or take a scenic drive through the Lake Tyers Forest Park
· Sky Show New Year's Eve
· Summer Series triathlon – January
· Lakes Entrance Rodeo – January
· Lions Club Easter Fish tasting
· Twin Rivers Bream Classic – July
How to get there
Lakes Entrance is approximately 4 hours from Melbourne along the Princes Highway. It is serviced daily by rail to Bairnsdale and then coach to Lakes Entrance from Melbourne. Public transport is available from Bairnsdale to Lakes Entrance.
Ryn Shell’s acclaimed Stolen Years series blends rich Australian historical fiction with riveting adventure and love stories. Now, with this convenient seven-volume eBook bundle, discover the novels that have won thousands of fans when it was published on Amazon. Be introduced to the valiant Scottish free settlers to Australia, Jane and Douglas, in Gold. Follow the Fife family’s adventures through until the Australian’s story of Skylab’s spectacular demise in Star Struck.